At around 4pm it was decided he was breathing well enough to extubate (take out full-ventilation tube). But after an hour on his own Sam was really gasping for breath and not coping - his CO2 levels were also raised, which meant he wasn't breathing out sufficiently. The Doctor came and it was decided to put him on to CPAP - pressurised O2. He is still very unsettled and distressed and they will check his bloods again this evening to see if his Co2 reading has improved - if it hasn't and if he is still not coping with breathing, they may need to re-intubate him whilst they re-assess him.
Tonight Francis is with him and I'm home with the girls, so Francis will spend this evening trying to settle Sam. To not be able to pick him up and rock him and to see him crying but not hear him (the tube in his throat pushes on his vocal chords) is distressing. His heart rate and blood pressure sky-rocket and his face is screwed up and red... and to not be able to hold him or nurse him to comfort him is just horrible. So we hope and pray that the nurses are able to keep Sam comfortable with medication whilst he fights these infections.
We're disappointed in the latest developments and sad for Sam - to see him struggling is unpleasant and if we could swap places we would.... but we can't.... so we continue to sit with him and talk with/hold him so he knows our love and voices in his struggles. We don't know what tomorrow holds, so we can only do today as best as we can.... and get sleep when we can!
Goodnight one and all, Shirley