Post Op Sam was doing ok - he pooped a very full nappy on Thursday, which was fabulous.
On Friday he was really pushing but nothing coming out. His milk feeds had been increased to 20 ml/ hr. Friday night was a long night with him constantly vomitting, squirming and with a very large tum and unable to settle. Yesterday was a very long day too, with him needing 6 shots of morphine to help him with the pain. He was given a suppository, but that took 5 hrs to work. All feeds were turned off, but still his tummy grew tighter and rounder. Finally xrays were taken and them the surgeon visited to give him a 'wash out' from below! Just imagine lots of screaming and wrestling whilst I held him in situ. This did relieve a lot of wind and poop. Straight after this new xrays were taken and sadly it showed that the area of concern was still there. He seems to have about a 7 cm piece of bowel that is distended and is at risk of perforating, if it hasnt already. So at midnight lastnight there was talk of emergency surgery right then, but after discussions it was decided to let him rest the night and re assess this morning.
He and I slept 6 hours solid welcomed by both!
This morning he has had xrays again and we are waiting to hear if the surgeon wants Sam to have a dye contrast study in radiology before surgery.
It is all disappointing - Sam is totally over being poked and prodded and is constantly asking to go home. When he is in pain he is particularly aggressive and feisty, but the boy is 4 and he is sore. He is missing his home and his friends at kindergarten. He is missing his sisters and his Dad .... He just wants out.... But I dont think that will be the case for a while... So its a day at a time for us.
Will update once we have more info x